Subject: Re: VAX magtape TU81
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA, s_mogren@yahoo.com>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/15/2001 17:12:21
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 18:45:14 -0400 (EDT)
> From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
> To: saad mogren <s_mogren@yahoo.com>
> Cc: port-vax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: VAX magtape TU81
>
> mcguire@neurotica.com (quoted and) wrote
>
> >> many thanks for yur reply, what about SUN machine does it have Qbus
> >> interface,
>
> > Qbus is a DEC proprietary bus.  [...]  You'll have to get your hands
> > on a DEC machine if you want to use that tape drive.
>
> What's proprietary about the Qbus?  It's certainly well enough
> documented; I once was one of a pair of people who built a Qbus board
> out of discrete logic.  (And in the process learned something about
> proper power supply bypassing. :-/)

Proprietary in this context means "only DEC computers used the Qbus".
Just line the Sbus is proprietary to Sun.

It doesn't mean that it is undocumented.  And yes, I know that there
were a few imitation DEC computers that also used the Qbus.

    carl
--
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu