Subject: Re: 4000/90 installation - Cannot find appropriate discs. SCSI kernel anyone ?
To: port-vax@netbsd.org <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Marco Steinbach <coco@executive-computing.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/15/2001 15:18:03
On Mon, 14 May 2001 15:49:32 +0200 (CEST), nbsd wrote:

>There is no support for the scsi host adapter of VS4000/90 in the iso CD
>image.
>To install over 4000/90 I installed the whole system on a 4000/60 and then
>I got the disk out and mounted it on 4000/90.
>
>Rick
[...]
I have a 3100/30 (?), but I can't boot it, since the floppy boot disc lacks support of the mixed
SCSI/MFM controler (the MFM part is missing, as far as I've read through the postings). My CDRom
doesn't boot on that machine, allthough the drive is listed in the devs with the correct size.
(boot doesn't touch the drive, simply blurps out some lengthy driver error message)

I've installed NetBSD 1.5 on a spare PC now to create my own bootcd. Looking through the
BootCD-Howto, I had to realize "[...] that this second step must be performed on a NetBSD/vax
machine."

Then I tried netstart. The mopd 2.5.3 coredumps in the very moment it tries to send the boot.mop
to the Vax, and bootparamd doesn't start because it's "unable to register BOOTPARAMPROG version
1,udp".

My office is burried under loads of hardware now (spare parts make up a spare PC ...), and on my
desk sits the 4000/90, still waiting for the nerd in front of it to be able to install NetBSD.

Could some kind soul please provide a working bootcd for my 4000/90 ?

MfG CoCo

... Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.