Subject: Installation on a VAXStation 4000/60
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: John <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/12/2001 10:27:47
Hello,

I just bought my first VAX (VAXStation 4000/60), and I'm very excited
about setting it up.

However, it is just the box itself - no accessories. So will I be able to
do the netboot and the installation with a serial terminal, or do I need
to get a keyboard and monitor adapter?

Furthermore, is the disklabel compatible with any other NetBSD systems?
It'd be easy for me to set up a NetBSD install using an already running
system. Or would it?

Finally, regarding performance: I am currently running NetBSD on a 60 MHz
68060 with about 100 users (about 5-20 are logged in at any one time). ssh
is fast enough to not give any noticeable lag on this system, but on a
68040 that I use for testing, I do notice that with three or more people
logged in at a time, things sometimes get pretty slow.

Could anyone tell me if this VAX is going to be fast enough to handle a
fair number of users (perhaps up to 10) connecting via ssh? It'll probably
only be running email, but I'd like to know if my users are going to be
happy with the machine the way it is, or if I need to have them ssh to
another machine and connect via the local (secure) segment to the VAX...

Thanks very much,
John Klos