Subject: Re: UPDATE (was: Re: VAX 6000-400 series and NetBSD, I have machines)
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/2001 00:14:27
On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Brian Chase wrote:

> [...]
>
> I've got mine still setting in the truck right now while I wait for my
> brother to get here to help me move it. Getting mine to the garage will be
> a little more difficult as I don't have a smooth asphalt drive.  It's sort
> of loose rock and worn out asphalt.  I picked up some 6ftx4ft sheets of
> half-inch thick plywood to use as a make-shift smooth surface.  I'm hoping
> that works out okay, because it may rain soon.  I'd rather not get the VAX
> stuck in the driveway.

Woo-hoo!  The plywood thing worked brilliantly on my very un-even, rocky,
grassy, and soft soiled drive up to my garage.  I took about 20mins for
two people to move the VAX about 80-100ft using the two sheets of plywood.
I stole the idea from cartoons I'd watched as a kid.  They however dealt
with sections of train track.

Get the VAX onto the first sheet of plywood, slip a few inches of the
second sheet just under the end of the first sheet, and push the VAX onto
the second.  Pick up the previous sheet and slip part of it under the one
that the VAX is now setting on.  Repeat.

The lesson here is that you can move a VAX 6000 (or multiple VAX 6000s)
with only two people, as long as you can overcome the lifting onto and off
of the vehicle used to transport the VAX.

-brian.