Subject: Re: VAX 6000-400 series and NetBSD, I have machines
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/30/2001 17:51:43
WAIT!  I'm in Indianapolis too!  Bloomington actually, but Indy's a short
hop away.  I can take one or two of the VAX 6000/400s and store them in my
basement here.

-brian.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> Brian Hechinger wrote:
> >
> > Gunther Schadow drunkenly mumbled...
> > >
> > > I am going to be the proud owner of a VAX 6000-400 machine.
> > > But I haven't seen that NetBSD runs on this one. How hard
> > > do you think it will be to make it run? I know quite a bit
> > > about the BSD kernel but know about nothing regarding the
> > > VAX. So I appreciate any hints on how I should best approach
> > > this project.
> >
> > can't help ya here, hope someone else can.
> >
> > > Also, I have my hands on two more VAX 6000-400 machines that
> > > need to go ASAP. I would like to "donate" them to whoever
> > > would get NetBSD up and running on them.
> > >
> > > Please respond ASAP today or this weekend, since I have to
> > > arrange for rescuing the machines before they go to the
> > > junk yard.
> >
> > where are you located? these are large machines and i would have to come pick
> > them up.
>
> Brian, I am in Indianapolis. You are right, these are excitingly
> large machines :-). I will probably take them into my garage in
> custody (where they will have to share a bed with my 75 Cadillac,
> speaking of old stuff :-) So, you can see that if I take all three
> of them home, I need to get rid of two of them quickly (or else
> someone get's rid of me :-).
>
> These machines are fully functional by the way, only one (the
> fourth one) has power supply problems ... but that makes it just
> a great source for spare parts.
>
> Please let me know if you feel able and willing to work on the
> NetBSD port for this platform. We will figure out some shipping
> arrangement then.
>
> Thanks,
> -Gunther

--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
Never eat any food which might accidentally break inside your mouth!  -- K.