Subject: Re: in need of a QBus SCSI card for my VAX 4000
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/20/2001 11:56:56
> From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
> Subject: in need of a QBus SCSI card for my VAX 4000
> To: port-vax@netbsd.org
> Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:03:58 -0500 (EST)
>
> i've been looking around (ok, not real hard, but still) and i am just
> unable to find these beasts.  did a quick search on ebay and the only
> listing that popped up was for what the guy thought was a SCSI
> controller but is actually a serial controller for the QBus
> machines.

We are all victims of history.  SCSI started to become popular about
the time that Qbus computers were fading out.  So there just aren't
enough old controllers lying around.  And the ones that are still there
have not gone down in price to match the average home computer budget.

Actually, there is a CMD Qbus SCSI controller about to time out on eBay
this afternoon.  At $168.50 and still rising.  Similar things from
used-computer stores seem to run $700 and up.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu