Subject: Re: The New Guy's Vax 3100 M38
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: linc <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/19/2001 14:33:51
> > 1. How do I get the vax to boot NetBSD in multi-user mode?
> Hmm. I don't know the exact syntax, but try somthing like
> set bflag 0
> at the ">>>" prompt.

Thanks!  I actually figured this out about an hour after I sent the message
:-)

> Is there a valid /etc/fstab on the disk?

Yes - it's a brand new installation of NetBSD.

> > 2. I have a Vaxstation 3100 m38 with 16 megs of ram and a 212 meg hdd.
> > Where can I get more memory for this - and how much can I put in?
> The maximum is 24 or 28MB RAM. You need a special, rare RAM card for
> this machine, that can hold a second RAM card as daughterboard. But
> 16MB is a quite good amount of RAM for this machine.

It seems to chug right along..  Just trying to see what I can do to improve
performance if I decide to use it as a web server or something of the sort.
It's no speed deamon, but I think a lot can be attributed to how slow that
old hdd is.

> > How big of a hdd can I use in this machine?
> As I know you can put a XX GB disk in it, but the bootpartition (or the
> boot disk?) is limited to 1GB.

I do have a spare scsi 2 hdd with a 2 to 1 adaptor - would this work as a
secondary hdd?

Thanks again,
Linc.