Subject: Re: 4000-100 still won't netboot
To: Johnny Billquist" , "port-vax <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: BrownM03 <BrownM03@bigpond.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/19/2001 21:29:24
From: "Johnny Billquist"

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, BrownM03 wrote:
>
> > From: "Chuck McManis"
> > > Try changing the kernel name in the mounted root hierarchy from netbsd
> > > be netbsd.vax
> > > if I'm right this will allow you to boot. There is an annoying bug
that
> > > I've tickled a couple of times but not swatted where the second path
> > > through the boot code isn't "clean" from a networking perspective. By
> > > changing the kernel name you will find it successfully boots the first
> > time
> > > (since it trys netbsd.vax first)
> > >
> > > --Chuck
> > >

> > It's possible that (by now) I've stuffed up my config somewhere, but I
can
> > locally mount NFS shares (woopee).
> > Moploader is definitely working (maybe I'm using the wrong boot.mop file
> > though?)
> > I have tried your suggestion, however:
> >     1. As the boot doesn't get as far as searching for kernel names, I
doubt
> > that's it (yet).
>
> You don't even get the first printout from the bootloader?

mopboot is now working (just). Having probs trying to make a bootable drive
tho

> >     2. mountd screams "Can't register mount" about 10 times in the logs
> > (after a 'boot') and then :
> >             "mountd/rpc/udp server failing (looping), service
terminated"
> >         - is this the loop.c thingo I was supposed to change somewhere?
>
> Eh? Have you even started portmap (well, whatever the name of that program
> is now, I can't remember off the top of my head).
>
> Johnny

I found that the problem was: I had uncommented the mountd entry in
inetd.conf.
Because it was manually started this way ... when inetd tried to start up a
mountd
process for each nfs share it would fail. There were a number of other small
hindrances (heh...well they look small NOW:) but it's slowly getting better.

Marcus.