Subject: Re: Help!
To: None <EncinoAdam@aol.com, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/06/2001 23:32:10
Oh, I can't resist.

At 01:40 AM 3/7/2001 -0500, EncinoAdam@aol.com wrote:
>Please forgive the intrusion.  I am writing a paper, and part of the paper
>involves old VAX computers.  In searching the net, you seem to be the
>ultimate supreme VAX guru.  I decided to write you in hopes that you might be
>able to answer a few questions.  Feel free to respond to this or delete it.
>But, I would definitely appreciate your help!
>
>1.  Why are you so interested in VAX computers?

Because I've been using them for over 2 decades (eek!).

>2.  What languages can be programmed on a VAX?  Is C++ one of them?

Hmmm.  From memory: Cobol, Fortran, Pascal, PL/1, RPG,
BASIC, C, C++, Jovial, Scan, Snobol, Bliss, Teco, TPU,
Lisp,

>3.  Do VAX computers use "dumb-terminals"?

They can (starting with ASR33 & VT05, then VT52, then
VT100, VT102, VT125, Gigi, VT220, VT240, VT320, VT340,
VT420, VT510, etc.  And LA36, LA120, etc.

>4.  If so, How many terminals can be hooked up to one VAX?

Anywhere from 0 to several 100s or even over a thousand
(though for the highest number, most connect over the
network).

>5.  Do the dumb terminals have floppy drives or tape drives, or any way of
>backing up data?

Typically no.  Altough you could use the paper tape punch
on a ASR-33 to have a program.

>6.  What type of thesis project might a comp-sci student have worked on in
>1994?

VAX specific?  By then VAXes where 16 years young and
had been researched out for the most part.

>7.  Could a VAX in 1994 be hooked up to the Internet?

But of course.  Considering that VAXes were some of first
node on the Arpanet, by 1994 they started being replaced
by faster & leaner machines.

>8.  How much might a VAX cost?

New VAXes could cost upwards of several hundreds of thousands
of dollar to a few thousand.  Today, you can pick one up off
Ebay for under a $100.

>I realize these are broad questions.. and that there are probably dozens of
>VAX models.  So, the answers can be similiarly generic... if the answers
>don't apply to all VAXs, that is okay.    Can you tell me anything else about
>the VAX?  Why have they all but gone away?  Thanks again for any help you are
>able to provide.  Your web site helped quite a bit, already.  I am just using
>it for general reference.

In England, VAX was/is a brand of vacuum cleaners.  VAXes
have gone away for many reasons, but the primary one is
that newer machines have a better bang for the buck.  VAXes
migrate to crushers and/or peoples homes.