Subject: Re: VAX 4000/100 + cd + syquest ...etc
To: None <BrownM03@bigpond.com>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/01/2001 10:35:03
> From: "BrownM03" <BrownM03@bigpond.com>
> To: "Geoff Roberts" <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
> Cc: "port-vax" <port-vax@netbsd.org>, "P. G." <pgaray@bigfoot.com>,
>         "Michael Kukat" <michael@unixiron.org>,
>         "Geoff Roberts" <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>,
>         "Erno Palonheimo" <esp@cc.hut.fi>
> Subject: Re: VAX 4000/100 + cd + syquest ...etc
> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:29:08 +1100
>

> The unit is not "rack mount", it's a WHOLE CASE (R400X I think)
> And I've got the price down to $100, HOWEVER, there is a total of
> 6 drives in the case:
> 2 x RF/RZ35 (dual mode?) 825MB
> 4 x RZ73 (2G)
> I re-assembled the whole box (had to take it apart just to carry it:) and
> then
> plugged a 50-pin Cent to 50-pin cent cable from the 4000 to the R400X.
> Nothing (new) appears on SHOW SCSI or SHOW DEVICE :((
> (However the RF/RZ35's appear on the DSSI list when indiviually plugged into
> one of the 3 internal DSSI ports) (it has 2 SCSI & 3 DSSI ports)
> ps. Is there any difference between internal & external scsi busses?
> ie. is controller A internal ... etc? Or is there only one controller?
> The reason I ask is the there is an internal CD-ROM, and the R400X has
> 6 drives. If there is only one SCSI bus then I would have to remove AT LEAST
> one of the DSSI drives and put it on the internal DSSI port. (Is that
> right?)
> (pps. the RF/RZ35's are half-height (??) and the others a full (ie. wont fit
> in the case)
> Where do I go from here?

Stop and think.

A disk drive marked RF/RZ35 means that the head-disk assembly is common
to both RF35 and RZ35 drives.  But the electronics is different.  RF is
DSSI, RZ is SCSI.  The quick-look clue is that DSSI drives have 5-pin
power connectors, SCSI have 4-pin.

What you have is a box full of DSSI drives, and they won't work on a SCSI
bus, even if you can find a signal cable adapter.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu