Subject: Re: VAX 4000/100 + cd + syquest ...etc
To: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
From: BrownM03 <BrownM03@bigpond.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/01/2001 21:29:08
----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Roberts" <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
To: "port-vax" <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 10:53 AM

I think it's an 8MB module, but I haven't been able to verify that yet.
(I've just guessed from the chip ID's)

> The Classic Computers list would be the best bet for that one, they have
> numerous HP Unix types there.

Who, where?
As far as I can tell, this HP looks much like an "external display adapter"
!!!
(with a SCSI interface)
Does that sound about right?
(seems like overkill .... I'm happy with VT's at the moment :))

> > ps. I do have a Philips 20C monitor that I MIGHT be able to hook up to
> it...
> > but it's 5BNC not 3... and although it may sync on green I've never
> tried.
>
> Probably RGB Vsync Hsync. Sync on green as well is possible.  HP's are
> sync on green IIRC,
> same as Vaxstations.  Probably won't hurt to try.
>
> > Worth selling for $30 you think? Or is it really that good? (ie.
> useable?:))]
>
> If it works on the HP, keep it.

hmmm.... time to think/play

> drive
> > array
> hehe
> > > Sounds like a good idea.  Grab it if you can.
> > He (and his mate) are stalling a bit. I've offered $20/drive or $100
> for the
> > whole thing.
>
> Sounds like a reasonable offer, some may be dead, you don't know.
>
> > He (his mate has the rack) only has one of the drives at present... so
> I've
> > (almost) got
> > at least one drive (he said a RF35...which is 825MB i think). I'll
> find out
> > tomorrow.
>
> That would be a start.  Hmmm. RF??  See my comments below.
>
> > I'm told he has an offer of $500 for the whole thing...
>
> Hmm, the right people would pay that for it, but it depends if he
> actually knows them or is just
> trying to beat the price up.  On top of which an RF prefix indicates a
> DSSI drive, so they ARE NOT SCSI.
> Digital SCSI drives have an RZ prefix. SID drives have an RA prefix.
> He is almost certainly assuming they are SCSI, (hard to tell by looking)
> which would explain the $500 offer.
> Better enlighten him, ASAP, as DSSI was found only on Digital Vaxen and
> such like, so if they don't have a Vax,
> they won't be an use to them. (And may blow something up finding this
> out).  And they are useful to you, or someone with
> a Vax and a DSSI controller.  (Plenty will want them if you ask in the
> right places.) Classic Computers for instance.
> Probably here, as I suspect a few BSD'ers have DSSI based Vaxen about
> the place.  You need to find out if you have a
> DSSI controller in your VAX 4000.
>
> > I'll just hope & pray that it falls through :))
>
> I'm betting it will the moment they find out they aren't SCSI drives!

The unit is not "rack mount", it's a WHOLE CASE (R400X I think)
And I've got the price down to $100, HOWEVER, there is a total of
6 drives in the case:
2 x RF/RZ35 (dual mode?) 825MB
4 x RZ73 (2G)
I re-assembled the whole box (had to take it apart just to carry it:) and
then
plugged a 50-pin Cent to 50-pin cent cable from the 4000 to the R400X.
Nothing (new) appears on SHOW SCSI or SHOW DEVICE :((
(However the RF/RZ35's appear on the DSSI list when indiviually plugged into
one of the 3 internal DSSI ports) (it has 2 SCSI & 3 DSSI ports)
ps. Is there any difference between internal & external scsi busses?
ie. is controller A internal ... etc? Or is there only one controller?
The reason I ask is the there is an internal CD-ROM, and the R400X has
6 drives. If there is only one SCSI bus then I would have to remove AT LEAST
one of the DSSI drives and put it on the internal DSSI port. (Is that
right?)
(pps. the RF/RZ35's are half-height (??) and the others a full (ie. wont fit
in the case)
Where do I go from here?

***************************************
HOWEVER, looks like I've backed myself into a corner:  I changed the default
boot device from DIA0 (or whatever it was), to EZA0 (the ethernet device) in
an attempt to cut-down boot times by about 3 mins. WHAT A FAILURE!!!
Now it just does the 2... (new line) -EZA0 .... and locks completely.
How do I "break" from the normal boot process, change the default boot
device,
OR stop the ethernet port from locking the system?
(pls. dont tell me that netboot is the only way :))). I REALLY want to try
and get it
to boot from the SyQuest first (if i can) )