Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: James Lothian <simul8@simul8.demon.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2001 20:31:29
Johnny Billquist wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, James Lothian wrote:
>
> > allisonp@world.std.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Only the MVII, MS2000 have the 16mb limit.  LAter machines are at least
> > > capable of 32mb or much more.
> > >
> > > personally I find it ghastly to need more than 16mb to compile reasonably.
> > > Sound much more like disk flogging (not enough or large enough IO
> > > buffers?).
> > >
> > > Allison
> >
> > Erm, the 750 has a 14Mb limit. And most 750s were 8Mb. I know it's not a
> > microvax, but it's still a vaxentoy, at least as far as I'm concerned!
>
> Actually, the limit is 22 MB, but that requires another memory controller,
> which is less common...
Er, no, sorry, the physical address bus is only 24 bits, which allows up
to 16
megs of address space. The top 2 megs are occupied by unibus/massbus
adapters, WCS
&c. The memory controllers were:
L0011 - up to 8 * 1/4 meg memory arrays
L0016 - up to 8 * 1 meg (most common)
L0022 - up to 2 * 4 meg + 6 * 1 meg

Maybe you're confusing the module number and the capacity? 14 megs is
definitely the limit.

James