Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2001 15:22:05
> > > Isildur got a kernel compile in 30 minutes on a KA650 box.
> >
> > Only the MVII, MS2000 have the 16mb limit.  LAter machines are at least
> > capable of 32mb or much more.
>
> Well, most of the early 3100 line seem stuck at 16mb, too.  The M76
> can handle 32M.  Someone correct me if I am misinterpreting the ram

I have a M10e that has 24 in it, it can take 32.  Most of the 3100series
were good for at least 32mb if you can find it.

> Consider my old AIX 1 box that had 4mb of ram, and it loaded AIX
> and ran fine and compiled fine.  With 6mb of ram it served as our
> departmental email box, for years, with 150 accounts.  Food for thought.

Ran a dozen users and several remote apps under VMS using MV1II and only
9mb ram for years.  before that it was a 730 with 4mb.

> Well, what can one do to increase buffering all around in the right
> places to speed this kind of thing up?  The machine in question is
> set up with 4x1g scsi drives, partitioned at 32mb root, 32mb swap,
> and the rest usr, for testing.  Do they need more swap than that
> on a 13mb ram MVII critter?

First move swap to a different drive, moving the head takes time
and it does make a big difference.  Use SCSI though DSSI and the like are
faster (for the older machines).  Also I have no clue as to if ther eis
internal buffers or caching to unload the disk.

Allison