Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2001 14:46:58
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> Offhand, can I compile a NetBSD-1.2 kernel on NetBSD-1.5
> by unrolling into a separate tree, and not break anything?

i dont know if things would work quite right- config has certainly
changed betwen 1.3 and 1.4, and probably there some gcc idiosyncracies
that will make it barf on the 1.2 stuff..

> My thought would be to compile the identical 1.2 system
> stripped MVII kernel on the 1.5 box, and see how big it
> became.  If the kernel was approximately the same size, no
> problem.  IFF it grew significantly, that might indicate
> gcc was having problems.  I may have to try that on my M76.

hmm. it might be worth the effor tin making it work to see directly whats
from the compiler and whats just the kernel.. :)

> Although, Isildur has that fast KA650 box that does a 30
> minute compile.....(:+}}... hint, hint.

ah, but it it only running tahoe! th eonly netbsd/vax machine i have running
right now is the 4000/60! (well, and a VLC somewhere, but it's on loan
to a friend several thousand miles away, and not on the net)
so if you want to compile anythign under tahoe, feel free, the machine
is open to all.. (telnet to vaxpower.org, log in as vax, then
guest/guest, or if you have an account, log in at that point , or sloer
machine/faster network, cmuccvax.vaxpower.org, guest/guest)
Over the weekend i can put the 4000/60 up for general use, but its only
got 8mb of memory so far.. :(

> Yeah, I know it is heresy to throw bones at gcc, but my
> closet has lots of skeletons.....(:+}}, and I gotta get
> to the bottom of the pile, somehow.

isildur