Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2001 14:28:11
> > I could put up a generic account such as netbsd (original, right?)
> > with a generic password, and give whomever wants su on it, and let
> > them wrangle it out to their hearts content.  That way, the gurus
> > could run up whatever they think is useful.
>
> i woudlnt mind checking it out.. ill run my personal 'benchmark' , just a
> number sieve.. but its my own bogus metric of machine speed :)

When I get the machine back from unrolling pkgsrc I will set up an open
account as netbsd/test15.  Anyone that wants to try something on it
is welcome.  If it starts dancing across the lab bench or whistling
Dixie, I will reserve the right of the power of the plug.
The machine is 152.1.230.21.  I will run up Bonnie and the bytebench
things, and anything else anyone needs, or you can do it.  Cp whatever
you need out of pkgsrc and let it build. For frame of reference, the
machine is about 3 times as fast as the MVII.  I will reserve one
drive for NetBSD-1.5, one for NetBSD-1.4.3, and one for NetBSD-1.3.2
(I think that is the earliest one that works on the scsi bus line).
First we can play on 1.5 and get what useful numbers etc, there.
Then I will reboot down the road and bring it up in 1.4.3, and
we can do likewise.  Then, again we can do it on the 1.3.2 suite.

> btw i will probably be the proud owner of a VAX 4000/600 soon, just making
> shipping arrangements for it now.. it's not supported yet, is it? if not,
> does anybody have any docs? i dont think it woudl be very different from
> the vax4400 or 4500..

High power critter.  Neat.  I had a line on some 4000 crates, but they
went off to the crusher, drat.  He says more will be likely to follow,
so I am keeping fingers crossed.....

> happy hacking,

Always....

Bob