Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2001 14:11:12
> try lmbench, as well.

I tried and it died.  perl5 would not compile on the MVII boxes.
Lmbench calls up perl5 for its output processing things.  Possibly
it was due to lack of ram.  I will try it on the MV3100/10 and
see if it has enough ram at 16mb.

IFF anyone has some binaries around for lmbench and that perl for 1.5,
I could use a tarball's worth.  Lmbench ran up fine on my DEC 5000/200
crate, though.  It has 120M ram.

How much swap really is required to run up gcc to compile perl on
the MVII?  I have 32M swap.  Should that be upped to 64M or so?

Are there any settings for gcc that will allow it to compile using
less ram?  I normally turn off optimizers, and that seems to help,
but I was wondering if any other things might be done?

Thanks

Bob

p.s.  Something needs to be done about pkgsrc.tar.gz.  It has been
      unrolling for almost two hours on the MV3100/10, and still it
      whirrs and whirrs.....