Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: Pierre-Michel Ricordel <Pierre-Michel.Ricordel@imag.fr>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/2001 23:58:22
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Pierre-Michel Ricordel wrote:

> About that, but on other platforms, I am always amazed by the fluidity
> of SunOS 4.1 on a 4MB, diskless Sun 3/60, served by another old SunOS box.
> On the other side, I could not be able to compile the NetBSD 1.5 kernel
> in a finite time with a 8MB diskless Sparc.
> I think the 1.5 bloat will begin to be more and more visible to other ports
> too.
> (maybe the m68k-based ones ?)

	Once again, compare like with like - try using the same vintage
	gcc on both platforms, with the same source, and running a kernel
	with the same support.

	Better still, run the same application on both and see.

	I agree there are issues (which is why tech-perform has been set
	up), and we should also be providing 'lean' kernels with minimal
	device support, but there are much better metrics than compiler
	time.

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --