Subject: Re: Compiler timings on varous MVII NetBSDs etc.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Pierre-Michel Ricordel <Pierre-Michel.Ricordel@imag.fr>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/2001 19:05:12

> this is a big one. these machines are no sluggish toys- they were the
> seriousest of serious hardware for a long time, and theres no fundamental
> reason why theyre no longer capable now of what they could handle with
> ease 10 or 15 years ago. BSD was largely developed on a VAX 11/750 with
> 4 MB of memory.

About that, but on other platforms, I am always amazed by the fluidity
of SunOS 4.1 on a 4MB, diskless Sun 3/60, served by another old SunOS box.
On the other side, I could not be able to compile the NetBSD 1.5 kernel
in a finite time with a 8MB diskless Sparc.
I think the 1.5 bloat will begin to be more and more visible to other ports
too.
(maybe the m68k-based ones ?)

PM