Subject: Re: terminal and VMS
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/2001 12:01:49
> ok, this is my last non-NetBSD question, i promise (fingers crossed)

:-)

> so, i telnet in to the box.  run EDIT, and it just doesn't work well
> when i scroll off the bottom of the page.  doesn't move what's
> already there, just changes the last line (but not overwriting stuff
> completley, i'm sure you've all seen it before, it's pretty common
> with misconfigured terminal types)

Yeah, this sounds like running software that expects 24x80 on 25x80
hardware.  Alternatively, it could be that EDIT is expecting to be
talking to a real VT-100 and is taking advantage of that, but your
terminal emulator is doing the usual "sorta mostly like X3.64 with a
few DEC extensions" thing and is missing something important.

Someone suggested a way to change VMS's mind about your window size.
If that doesn't help, well, I wrote a terminal emulator that does a
fairly faithful VT-100 emulation, the closest of any freeware I know of
(I know of only a few ways in which it fails - for example, doing
smooth scroll has looked Too Hard, and I haven't had a chance to
compare with a real VT-100 to see if DEC made any simplifying
assumptions).  If you'd like a copy, just let me know.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca