Subject: Re: 4000/200 Booting Troubles Resolved
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/2001 10:46:38
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:

> Yep - Card placement turned out to be the problem. My VAX4200 is now happily
> churning out a custom kernel on it's own disks.

[snip]

Did you have any troubles booting off the local disks?  Did you have to do
anything nonstandard when installing boot blocks?

I managed to handroll the system onto my box, but have never been able to
get it to boot.  I don't get any primary bootstrap messages at all.  I can
hobble up the err msg tonight if anyone is interrested.  It's
[trying to] boot off a CMD controller.

Also, fsck seems to fail on this box with an "illegal instruction" - it
just falls back to the prompt (it doesn't drop to the prom, just back to a
shell prompt.).

It's gotta be something I'm doing wrong, but I'm not sure what.  Could
the hardware be flakey?

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
 - USATODAY.com latest Health news for 12/4/2000 at 2:10 p.m.:
    Tobacco firm backs lung cancer test: Spaz the cat will never again
    want for medication to relieve his constipation.