Subject: Re: VAX 4000/400
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/2001 11:25:50
At 02:00 PM 1/22/2001 -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>and even sillier of me to think i wanted to run VMS.  what a NIGHTMARE!!! :)

Has its charm, doesn't it.

>so, it asks me this every time i boot it.  is this a bad battery, or a
>"feature"?

Two issues, one there are NiCd batteries in the CPU console plate, if you
leave it plugged in and on for a day it should recharge them. Unless they
are dead of course :-) Another thing was early VMSes (I believe it was 4.x
but could be as late as 5.x) wouldn't believe the TOY clock and so always
ask you the first time.

>will do.  speaking of which, i see UCX is licenced, so how do i get it
>running so i can telnet/ftp etc.?

Actually from the startup you posted it looked like UCX tried to start
TELNET. But the short answer is that @UCX$CONFIG is your friend. Follow the
prompts and answer the questions ...

Enjoy, life has its moments and only a foolish man rushes past them in
anticipation of the next.
--Chuck