Subject: Re: VAX 4000/VLC prom password?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/18/2001 21:09:29
Hi !

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Chuck McManis wrote:
> A friend of mine just picked up a VAX 4000/VLC (on my recommendation as a
> nice small VAX) and I thought it was broken, because the 'sho dev' produced
> "illegal command." Turns out it has had a password set, but of course the
> seller didn't know that. Anyway, how does one tell the VAX to "forget" that
> it has a password set? Is there a jumper or something somewhere?

You could try to pull the NVRAM chip out of the socket and put it on some
metal surface (e.g. the power supply). With a bit of luck, all data gets lost,
with this the password should go...

Not a fine version (son't shor-circuit the chip for more than 1-3 seconds), but
it helped several times now.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.