Subject: Re: Perplexing halt/reboot core dumps in Pre-1.5 VAX ports?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/17/2001 13:39:31
On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> [...]
>
> Interesting tidbits I find on stripped MVII kernels and FTP timings:
>
> FEATURE                          OS           TIME    FOOTPRINT
> MVII stripped kernel compile     4.3BSD       ~1h     ~270k
>                                  NBSD-1.4.3   ~9h     ~470k
>                                  NBSD-1.5     ~24h    ~570k
>
> [...]

> What has happened to kernel sizes and compile times for identical
> stripped kernel configs?  YIKES!

When you compiled the stripped kernel under 1.5, was the system running a
GENERIC 1.5 kernel?  It could be that the the GENERIC 1.5 kernel used up
more RAM than the the GENERIC 1.4.3 kernel.

Barring that, I'd say there might be differences between the versions of
GCC bundled with 1.4.3 vs 1.5, or maybe it's in the compile options (i.e.
-O vs -O2?)  I've not actually looked.  I'm only speculating.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
This counter is [6,177,399,753] times as pointless as a real one.  -- K.