Subject: DECronyms - was Test kernel available
To: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/16/2001 11:34:08
yes-
SHAC - shared host adapter controller (its a CI adapter on a chip)
DEQNA - Digital Equipment Qbus Network Adaptor
DELQA - ? ? it superseded the DEQNA, is LQA LAN Qbus Adaptor?
KZQSA - Z=scsi QSA - Qbus Storage Adaptor
KFQSA - F=DSSI   "
KZTSA - Z=SCSI TSA Turbochannel Storage Adaptor
Kx - processors
KAn* - VAX processors
(KL , dec10/20 , KN, RISC (mips and axp), PDP i dont remember, dunno about
older stuff like PDP6's and 8's and so on)
Tx - tape transports/ their controllers
TK - TK's, never saw a hint to what the K stands for if anything
TS, TU, TZ - more tapes

In general there seems to be no single nomenclature, but rather just
a meta-convention of using acronyms with some non-globally-standard
conventions for further specifying some core hardware and its interfaces,
or some basic functionality and its interfaces. It seesm that there was a
sort of common mindset about the _kind_ of names to give things, but that
perhaps even individual engineers were giving names , along these _general_
themes, to their designs themselves, with no central authority to name
things 'consistently'.. it seems like a plausible idea considering that
DEC was a company of hackers and engineers! The centrally controllers
names were the part numbers.. there, the prefix indicates the
category..