Subject: Re: Test kernel available
To: Pierre-Michel Ricordel <Pierre-Michel.Ricordel@imag.fr>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/16/2001 16:59:02
Hi !

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Pierre-Michel Ricordel wrote:
> About DEC nomenclature, I always wondered why the names of DEC
> hardware have such strange names : KA860, TK70, DELQA, DEQNA, RQDX, SHAC,
> KZQSA, KFQSA, and so on...
> Obviously these are not acronyms (at least in english :)
>
> Is there a meaning/story/legend/folklore about the origin of these names ?

Sometimes they can be found out

DEMPR -> Digital Ethernet MultiPort Repeater
DESTA -> Digital Ethernet Station Terminal Adapter (or so)

Sometimes you get these cryptic strings from the titles of the manuals, but
e.G. KZQSA needn't make sende. SHAC also has a real meaning, SGEC means
"second generation ethernet controller", The Q in DELQA stands for QBus, DELUA
is the Unibus version, and the "A" here could stand for "Adaptor".

But you're right... funny thing, i also thought about this very long :)

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.