Subject: Re: Test kernel available
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/16/2001 00:47:21
On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> Michael Kukat drunkenly mumbled...
> > NetBSD knows about booting via such modern things like DHCP and NFS. It's the
> > most comfortable way, because if you use NFS root-fs, it's a good idea, to use
> > the fs to boot the same way.
>
> ah, NetBSD knows about NFS, but the ROM doesn't have a clue.  something has to
> exist to get the kernel/bootloader onto the system which then understands NFS.

Yes.

> in this case we are using MOP, which is just a replacement for tftp.  i can
> netboot my DECstations using my choice of MOP of TFTP, so it's just one more
> option.

No, mop isn't just a replacement for tftp. mop is the "maintenance
operations protocol". Much more specialized than tftp.
Some DECstations can select to boot through tftp or mop, yes. VAXen can
only boot through mop, no tftp stuff in there. All DEC equipment that can
netboot knows about mop. Very little know about tftp. In fact, I think the
DECstations are the only ones I know of. MOP exists for terminal servers,
PDP-11s, VAXen, and probably a bunch of other stuff. MOP can be used for a
lot more than just donwloading an image that you want to run, but all
other uses are more or less forgotten today, I think.

	Johnny