Subject: Re: KA675/KA680(?) Kernel available
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/14/2001 10:33:03
Hi !

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Thanks for working on this.  Can you suggest a course of action for
> installing NetBSD/vax on a 4000/400 which currently runs VMS?  It has
> a TF85 tape drive.  I can stick a Qbus SCSI host adapter in it if that
> would help.  It's been a long time since I've run NetBSD/vax...too long!

At first: SHAC and KZQSA are not supported, you need a real MSCP controller to
use mass storage devices. And the easiest way to install it is via netbooting.
I never had real success with sysinst, so you can do the steps described here:
http://www.bsdfans.org/crashcourse.php

I usually have "base.tgz" and "etc.tgz" untared as netbooted root, use single-
user mode there, label the disks (don't forget disklabel -B to install the boot
sectors), newfs them, mount them, and then so a
pax -zrpe </distfiles_mount_point/base.tgz

ans so on for all packages. You have to replace the kernel then (or just copy
the kernel to the fs instead of untaring kern.tgz), don't forget to run
./MAKEDEV all
in /dev on the installed system, edit the fstab, maybe even edit rc.conf and
correct /etc/localtime at this step. After booting... you have a running
NetBSD/vax (usually :)

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.