Subject: NetBSD1.5 Booting Issue - NOT a Netbooting question.
To: NetBSD Vax Port <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/03/2001 11:23:38
So I was helping a friend to upgrade from an early 1.4something release
on his UV3800 over the long weekend. I had downloaded all of the .tgz
files from the FTP site for 1.5vax, and things were going well. We
decided to build a new system on the second drive of the 3800 (scsi
controller), make all the changes we needed, then move the drive from
id1 to id0. In the mean time, we could still boot 1.4* on the id0.

Unfortunately, I got kinda stuck when I releasized I had niether the
first-stage nor second-stage bootloader. /boot was nowhere to be found,
and /usr/mdec/xxboot was missing as well. The closest I could find was a
file called "installboot", which claimed to be a i386 executable (using
'file'), and of course won't run under 1.4(a.out), it being a ELF file.

My problem is that I don't have another machine at that location to
provide netboot. Is there a way to use 1.4*'s disklabel -B to put the
1.5 bootblocks onto the drive, and where do I get /boot?

ps - I've decided to break down and transfer my 4000/200 from the
fridge-sized full-rack mounted case it's in to a BA215 pedastle. I'll
still need either the big rack or two small racks to put all of the
drive shelves in, but at least I can get the system itself and a drive
rack or two into my basement and operating before spring. Wish me luck.

 -J. Buck Caldwell