Subject: More on NetBSD 1.5 boot problems on VaxStation 3100
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/01/2001 19:22:56
[ A copy of this message has been posted to the newsgroup ]
[     comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc                           ]

Here's some more info on the boot problems I'm experiencing on a
VaxStation 3100 Model 38 with a NetBSD 1.5 installation.

When I use the 1.5 /boot I get stray interrupt: vector 0x18, ipl 31
immediately on booting.
When I use 1.42's /boot the selected kernel comes up! Why is the new
/boot not working...?

Now the generic 1.5 kernel asks me for the name of the root revice. The
cursor is flashing rapidly, and no input is accepted (I'm using the
system console).
The old 1.42 kernel I had compiled works fine.
I've tried to compile an 1.5 kernel. After loading that kernel the boot
process immediately starts over. Here's my config:

include         "arch/vax/conf/std.vax"
options         "VAX410"        # VS 2000
maxusers        8
options         SCSIVERBOSE             # Verbose SCSI errors
options         NTP             # NTP kernel support
options         INET            # IPv4
file-system     FFS
file-system     NFS
file-system     KERNFS
file-system     PROCFS
file-system     CD9660
options         SOFTDEP         # FFS soft updates support.
options         NFSSERVER
options         WSEMUL_VT100
options         WSDISPLAY_DEFAULTSCREENS=3D8
options         SYSVMSG
options         SYSVSEM
options         SYSVSHM
config          netbsd root on ? type ?
mainbus0        at root
vsbus0          at mainbus0             # All VAXstations
le0             at vsbus0 csr 0x200e0000 # LANCE ethernet
dz0             at vsbus0 csr 0x200a0000 # DC-367 DZ-11 lookalike ctlr
si0             at vsbus0 csr 0x200c0080 # VS2000/3100 SCSI-ctlr
smg0            at vsbus0 csr 0x200f0000 # Small monochrome display
ctlr.
scsibus*        at si?
sd*             at scsibus? target? lun?
cd*             at scsibus? target? lun?
wsdisplay0      at smg0
lkc0            at dz0
pseudo-device   loop    1
pseudo-device   pty     64              # pseudo-terminals
pseudo-device   rnd                     # /dev/random and in-kernel
generator

I guess I must have done something stupid...

BTW, what options do I have to add in order to support the VaxStation
3100's floppy drive?

Thanks.
--=20
Georg Schwarz     schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de, kuroi@cs.tu-berlin.de
Institut f=FCr Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universit=E4t Berlin        http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/