Subject: Re: 1.5_Beta on 3100/M76 and MVII (hare and tortoise syndrome)
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@guildvax.guild.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/06/2000 13:10:00
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> > > on the MVII, even with a stripped to the bare bones 1.5 kernel.  Ethernet
> > > speeds, for example were 33% faster on the 1.3.2 with generic kernel,

4.3tahoe is much faster than 1.4 at least, i havent tried 1.5 on a uvax
yet but from what i see here it would be even slower. I think a lot of
this has to do with gcc being a mediocre compiler on the VAX. pcc2 is a
very nice compiler, and the only thing that is keeping people here from
using it is that most of the code these days is ANSI and not K&R and
pcc[2] are k&r compilers. Anybody think it might be worthwhile to modify
pcc2 to be ansi compatible and then ditch gcc on the VAX?
(of course, the best C compiler for the VAX is the DEC vcc, the unix port
of the VMS VAX C compiler.. :-)

Isildur