Subject: Re: S L O O O O W MV2 source tarball unrolling?????
To: None <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/25/2000 19:07:36
On 25 Oct, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> I was unrolling the source tarballs of current on an MV2 last night,
[...]
> only about half after 7 hours.
Remount the file system async and and ungzip the .tar.gz on an other
machine. This will speed up things remarkably. If you have a 1.5 kernel
on the machine you can use softupdates instead of an async mount. But
this can be counterproductive on a week equiped machine like a MVII.

> Would I be better off compiling an MV2 stripped down kernel on the
> M76 and then porting it over to the MV2?
I recomend compiling the kernel on the m76. It takes about 15 hours to
compile a (1.4.x) kernel on a MVII.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen