Subject: Re: MicroVAX II mfm cards and drives?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/17/2000 14:31:12
I believe you want an RQDX3 controller and likely a supported RDxx drive that
is as large as possible.  If you have space problems, you may be forced to
select dimensions over capacity.  RD54 is something like 150Mb I think, while
I think an RD32 (1/2 height 5.25" drive) is 40Mb.

As for cabling etc, I believe that depends on what box you are using.  The
BA23
has the various drive select/write-protect buttons on the front switch panel
(although for just one drive I think without the two-drive panel) while a
BA123
has little panels, one per drive, that attach under the door on the lower
left.
Don't know about later issue boxen (e.g. BA213?).  I also forget how a drive
behaves in a BA123 without the little front panel to match with it.

Don't know about 3rd-party non-DEC MFM controllers.

Oh and you'll want the cable that comes with an RQDX that runs to the chassis
break-out panel and obviously the A/B cables for the MFM drive that also
connect
to that break-out panel (which is built-in to the chassis I think).

Cheers,

-- Ken