Subject: Re: RZ56 RZ57
To: None <bqt@Update.UU.SE, nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/16/2000 10:36:16
> From port-vax-owner-clowenst=ucsd.edu@netbsd.org Mon Oct 16 09:24 PDT 2000
> From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
> Subject: Re: your mail
> To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
> Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:29:33 -0400 (EDT)
> CC: VAX porting list <port-vax@netbsd.org>
>

> They are Micropolis drives rebadged for DEC as RZ56 or RZ57.
> The other drives that worked were standard Fujitsu, from Sun machines.
> I have run into this problem before with RZ 5x drives.
>
> IFF ANYONE HAS the jumper settings (if they exist on these drives)
> for motor-on and power-on spinup, do holler.
>
> The drives work fine on all my pmax and xx3100 line VAXen, but not
> on Suns or PC's or elsewhere.  Is there some detailed DEC specs
> on the RZ56 and RZ57 drives, somewhere, as to jumper settings, etc?
> Is it software coded?

The internet is your friend.

http://www.aquascape.com/theref/hard_drives/layouts/hs_dec_rz5x.html

RZ57 and RZ58 have jumpers to select spinup on power on.

RZ55 and RZ56 have to be set for power-on spinup by rewriting a bit in
a mode page.  There are various pieces of software out there named
RZ55SPINUP but I didn't go looking for them.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu