Subject: netbooting hell
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: bart sikkes <b.sikkes@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/11/2000 16:24:02
Hello,

After no real progress, we now have done a giant step backwards :(

As far as we can see we haven't really changed anything but it doesn't work
anymore.
We do this on the linux bootserver:
start: portmap
start: rpc.mount
start: rpc.nfsd
add arp entry
add rarp entry
type: ifconfig eth1 allmulti
start mopd -a -d
start rpc.bootparamd -d (we know we should use bootpd and/or dhcpd, but with
this it worked a little at first)
start tcpdump -i eth1

On the vax:
type b/100 xqa0
give as bootfile mopboot

And then nothing happens, on tcpdump no packets appear.

After about 10 minutes the following error appears on the vax:
?4B CTRLERR, XQA0
?06 HLT INST
    PC = 00000EE6
Failure.

Have we missed something or forgotten something? Do we need to compile
certain things in the kernel to get this working?

thanks,
bart

ps: here some of the files we use, if you find errors please tell me (i'm
using redhat 6.1 so some things may look different from a NetBSD box)

/etc/ethers
08:00:2b:02:b5:87  vaxclient
00:80:48:b3:20:c3  vaxserver

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1           linuxbakje
192.168.1.1      vaxserver
192.168.1.13    vaxclient
192.168.1.2      windoos

rarp -a
IP address       HW type             HW address
192.168.1.13     10Mbps Ethernet     08:00:2b:02:b5:87

arp -a
[some other hosts that don't matter]
vaxclient (192.168.1.13) at 08:00:2B:02:B5:87 [ether] PERM on eth1