Subject: Re: Configurating DSSI drives on MicroVAX 3400 (and 3300)
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/09/2000 17:19:10
> Hello All,
>
> It turns out that if you are using a MicroVAX 3400 (nee VAX Server 3400) or
> 3300 or anything with an onboard DSSI controller (this includes the VAX
> 4000/200 as well) you can configure the DSSI drives parameters by using the
> monitor command:
>
> SET HOST/DUP/DSSI <node>
>
> where <node> is the DSSI node number of the drive (not the unit number!)
> Once you are "logged in" to the drive you can do things like tell it its
> unit number, set its allocation class, and change its nodename.
>
> --Chuck

Good to know.

I have a question.   A list member passed me an RF35 drive for testing.
It is loaded on my MV3300.  But, when installing the drive, I noticed that
the label said ``RF35/RZ35''.  What does that mean, specifically?
That sort of smells like an RF drive is really a SCSI drive?

What exactly is different between RF and RZ drives?

Why cannot you use an RZ drive on a DSSI bus?

What is the thing with the 4 prong vs 5 prong power connectors?

Can someone explain what is going on here?

Thanks

Bob