Subject: Re: VSXXX-BB to VSXXX-AA conversion?
To: Erno Palonheimo <esp@cc.hut.fi>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@apache.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/04/2000 14:44:40
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Erno Palonheimo wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've thought of converting a VSXXX-BB to a VSXXX-AA.  Does this
> require any trickery besides changing the connector?  And what would
> be the pinout for VSXXX-BB?  I already have the pinout for VSXXX-AA.
> Are any other common mice usable in conversion?

	I don't feasibly see how. VSXXX-BB uses DEC's proprietary Access
Bus protocol running ontop of the Phillips i2c bus. Access Bus was only
used on the MIPS Personal DECstations, and AFAIK, there is no way to
convert. The VSXXX-AA is just a standard serial mouse IIRC, Access Bus is
far more complicated. If it worked well, it would be better than Apple's
ADB. It supports a locator device with up to 15 axes and 16 buttons and
keyboard devices with up to 255 keys (Up to 15 devices on one bus
IIRC). In any case, even atempting to convert this would not be worth your
time.

	Chris