Subject: Re: 1.5_ALPHA2 on VS3100/m30 and external SCSI
To: Matthias Buelow <token@cip.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/28/2000 00:00:47
Matthias Buelow writes:
> Hi,
>
> does anybody know of problems using an external SCSI disk with a
> VAXstation 3100/m30 with 1.5_ALPHA2?
> I have attached a 4GB disk on the external port and the kernel
> recognizes it as sd1:
>
> sd1 at scsibus1 target 1 lun 0: <QUANTUM, XP34301, 1071> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
> sd1: 4106 MB, 4076 cyl, 20 head, 103 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8410200 sectors
>
> However, the disk doesn't seem to be able to hold a disklabel, once
> written to it it always seems to "disappear" after a few moments.

This is the exact problem I have.  I have been whining about it for several
weeks, but I haven't collected enough information to file a PR on it.
:-)

I have a kernel from June 29 that does not have the problem.  Any kernel
after that (actually after the vsbus.c rototillage) is broken.

Unfortunately the build was broken from about June 30 to July 30 so I am
having trouble isolating the changes via CVS binary search. :-)

Anyway, I am very glad to hear someone else has this problem.  It shows
I'm not going crazy. (at least on this issue)

I guess a PR should be filed anyway, but I was trying to isolate the dates
involved better.

-Andrew