Subject: Re: LN03 printers... any good for an old MicroVAX 3300?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/26/2000 12:57:56
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> > >I noticed out in the surplus pit this week, a couple of LN03 printers
> > >(the DEC laserjet things).  What exactly are these, and are they likely
> > >to be usable on NetBSD with a MicroVAX 3300?  Are parts/toners, etc.,
> > >available or should I opt for an apple postscript kind of printer?
> >
> > Get a Lexmark Optra E310.  The LN03 is not postscript, the LN03R is.
>                                                              ^^^^^
> Ahh, that is the number I need to look out for.  The things may only
> cost me about 5-10 bucks each, so, IFF it were the LN03R model, should
> that run up reasonably well with things like Groff on the VAX in NetBSD?
> Or, should I avoid the LN03R because of other peculiarities?

The LN03 is a fairly good printer. And you can grab those plain LN03s as
well. If they have the extra memory installed you should be all right.
There are free tools available to convert postscript to LN03 format
graphics as well.
I've tried them here, but normally my LN03 is connected to my RSX system.

	Johnny