Subject: Re: Continuing MV3300 funzies --- dead ethernet card?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/25/2000 13:10:57
> Actually the ethernet on the KA640 is on the CPU card (there is no ethernet
> card) however having just this problem I was told (and pass on to you) that
> the switch on the CPU bulkhead gets dirty and this screws up the ethernet
> stuff.

Ahh, good to know.  I had thought of everything but that.

> Carefully take apart the bulkhead (some screws on the back and a retaining
> bolt around the BNC connector) and clean out the switch using contact
> cleaner or your favorite solvent. Dry it off, reassemble, and try again. It
> worked for me!

Sounds reasonable.  I keep some spray stuff around for my radio things.

Are there any other switch points that need that kind of treatment on
the MV3300 class machine?  Everything else seems to work, so I am
probably in good shape.

Can someone reiterate what the various switch positions on that
little patch panel actually do?  There is the 3 position thing at the
top, a 2 position thing to the side, and then the ethernet switch.
For normal use, what should the positions of the 3 position thing be,
and what if any on the circle and circle/dot thing be?

One of these days, I will find a manual for these critters.....(:+{{...

Thanks!

Bob