Subject: Re: Problem booting MV3100/20...
To: None <jasperh@debis.co.za>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@apache.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/21/2000 10:21:03
Hi,

	IIRC the boot blocks bundled with this snapshot are bad (freezes
any Vax). If the install CD contains bootxx_ffs in /usr/mdec or whatever
the first stage boot blocks are called on vax, you can relabel your HD
from the CD by pointing Installboot or Disklabel to the right
place.Other than that, see if you can rip boot blocks off somewhere else
on the ftp site arch/vax maybe? Or some kind soul here can send them to
you. (Or if you have sources and comp.tgz installed you could rebuild them
yourself)

	Chris

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, JasperH wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I (apparently) successfully installed the 20000517 snapshot from
> CD onto my MicroVax 3100/20 last night. There were no errors
> during the installation process, except for some "soft errors
> (corrected)" during the copying of some sets, but when I try to boot
> from the hard disk, it comes up with:

	If the soft errors are from the HD rather than the CDROM, I'd run
t 75 from >>> to reformat your hd before they become problimatic/anoying
later. But that's just me.

> -DKA200
> >>NetBSD/vax boot ...... . . . .
> >>Press any key to abort autoboot ...
> > boot netbsd
> . . . . . . . .and then nothing happens.
<snip>