Subject: Re: Problem NetBooting a VAXstation 2000
To: Frederik Meerwaldt <frederik@freddym.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/19/2000 15:51:03
Does the file server.wes.mee.com:/export/vs2000/root/sbin/init exist on
your fileserver (i.e. have you untarred all the binary sets under the
/export/vs2000/root directory on your FreeBSD fileserver?)  You might also
check that it's permissions and mode are set correctly.

Also, you might want to make sure that the FreeBSD box is exporting that
directory with full NFS r/w access to your VS2000.  I'm not sure that not
having that setup would cause the error you're seeing, but it will become
a problem later in the boot process.

-brian.

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Frederik Meerwaldt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have problems NetBooting my VAXstation 2000.
> Every time I boot it, it loads the bootloader, then the kernel, and then
> it terminates. The last lines I see are:
>
> --SNIP--
> boot device: <unknown>
> root device: le0
> dump device: none
> file system (default generic): nfs
> root on le0
> nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
> nfs_boot: BOOTP server: 192.168.1.1
> nfs_boot: my_addr=192.168.1.160
> nfs_boot: my_mask=255.255.255.0
> root on server.wes.mee.com:/export/vs2000/root/
> Clock has lost 11207 day(s) - CHECK AND RESET THE DATE.
> exec /sbin/init: error 13
> init: not found
> panic: no init
> syncing disks... done
> -
> ?06 HLT INST
>     PC = 800F0E6A
> >>>
> --SNAP--
>
> I'm using the 1.4V Kernel. I tried it with 1.4.2, too, but there was the
> same problem. Would it make sense to try it out with 1.4.1, too? I have
> it laying around there, but I don't believe that this fixes the problem
> (an older Version which fixes a problem?)
> I know that he can NFS mount the root on my Server running FreeBSD 5.0,
> because he first displayed a warning (no /dev/console), then I did a
> ./MAKEDEV all in the VaxStation root, and then the warning has gone.
> Did I forget to supply any additional information?
> How can I fix this problem?

--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
              "You are not expected to understand this."
   -- A comment from the source of UNIX 6th Ed, unix/slp.c, line 438