Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3300 console port?
To: Carlini, Antonio <antonio.carlini@riverstonenet.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/12/2000 12:08:45
> 	>I am going to play some with my friends MicroVAX 3300 tonight.
> 	>Before I get something wrong with it, I want to make sure that
> 	>the proper console port is the mmj connector on the CPU card or
> 	>that end of the card cage (I forget which offhand)?
>
> 	The only possible port on a MicroVAX 3300 is the MMJ connector
> 	on the faceplate that has a 7-segment LED on it. It should be on the
> 	right as you face the box.

It powered up ok, and would do nothing but stick on a 6 in the display,
or a 5 depending upon switch settings.  On a lark we totally removed
all boards, and then reinstalled everything.  It appears the CPU board
was not fully seated in its bus, and did not come up correctly.
After reseating, it came up fine!  Alas, I could not get an Ultrix
4.0 tape to load on it.  And, the drives are both cleaned off, but
they appear to run, and otherwise seem OK.

The pair of HD's appear to be RF30's from show dev, and the ram is
28M from show mem.  Too bad those are only 150mb drives... yuk.

He is currently pondering what to do with the beast.  If it does
not go anywhere, I may take it off his hands and see if I can get
some form of Ultrix to load.

It did not have a dssi bus terminator, but that did not seem to
do anything to the operating of the thing.  What exactly is that
dssi bus terminator?

Bob