Subject: Re: vaxserver 3100 netbooting, nfs_boot timeout
To: Thorsten Jens <thojens@gmx.de>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/10/2000 23:39:15
On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Thorsten Jens wrote:

> * Johnny Billquist:
> > I'm not sure if netword broadcasts have been demoted to a thing of the
> > past or not, but obviously this is your problem right now.
> > (I think I've seen some RFC talking about this, but my memory is really
> > not trustowrthy.)
>
> I thought the classification into A-B-C network classes was a thing
> of the past, actually.

Like I said. I *think* I've read a RFC saying something like that, but
don't trust my memory.
Anyway, lots of older equipment doon't think they are obsolete, and the
default netmasks will still give you that view.

> > Anyway, you have several options.
> >
> > 1. See to it that you recognize network broadcasts.
> > 2. See to it that the VAX does a subnet broadcast.
> > 3. Change your network mask.
>
> I think I'll go for choice #3 -- since I *know* how to do that ;-)

That probably is the easiest solution, yes. However, it's always good to
know *why* something happens, and *how* to fix it instead of just going
around it. :-)

But I'm also aware of the eternal not-enough-time problem. :-)

	Johnny