Subject: Installation from TLZ04 tape
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Thorsten Jens <thojens@gmx.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/06/2000 23:21:57
 OK so I didn't get the netbooting done so far. I tried to boot the
vaxserver 3100 from the tlz04-tape that it has. I dd'ed the unzipped
boot.fs of the 1.4.2 tree onto the tape on my linux machine.

 When trying to boot from the tape, it takes a little where the tape
is doing those clickedi-click noises, but then there's screen that
says "NetBSD 4.1.2 blabla ... Press any key to abort autoboot" or
something. But after that it's over again. I forgot the exact
message, but it looks as if the kernel isn't found.

 Do I need to do anything with the "bootroot-142.fs" file? The
Installation manual says nothing about it. What other possibilities
do I have, could I somehow take one of the disks out of the
vaxserver and write the raw boot image onto that? I do have SCSI in
my Linux box.

Thanks for your patience :-)
Thorsten
--