Subject: Re: Stuck prom on VS3100 M76 --- how to reset?
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/09/2000 14:10:07
> The Dallas chips are expensive. I had the low-bat-in-Dallas-chip problem
> with SPARCstaions. So I opened the top of the chip with a smal milling
> tool (a smal saw works also, hi Michael ;-)  ), disconnected the old
> battery and connected a new one. Works well with about 1/10 of the
> costs for a new chip. :-)

I had about a dozen of these chips that I put on an anti-static foam
holder a few weeks back.... methinks they may have drained away their
batteries.

For the sake of discussion, can you describe a little more how you
cut the top to open it up, and what exactly was soldered where to
effect a battery conect?  I did that once on a Sun nvram chip,
but had never tried it on one of the Dallas chips.  The mt08 sun
chip had two watch batteries in the top epoxy.  How is the Dallas
chip laid out?

Danke schoen!

Bob