Subject: Re: about VAXstation performance
To: hg/jb <shsrms@bellatlantic.net>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@guildvax.guild.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/30/2000 11:22:08
Actually, the KL10 was not the reference machine, the VAX 11/780 was.
There was no reference machine for the MIPS benchmark, the 780 was the
ref machine for the SPEC benchmarks.

VUPS on the other hand is purely a DEC thing. I like to consider it as
meaning Virtually Useless Performance Statistic, but in actuality it's not
any worse than SPECmarks or MIPS or dhrystones as a benchmark of speed.
The 11/780 is marked at 1 VUP. The uVII is marked at .9 VUPs, and so on
and so forth. The 11/780 actually weighs in somewhere around 1.1 MIPS
by usual tests. Especially with an instruction set as rich as the VAX's,
MIPS doesnt mean very much. It means equally little on RISC machines for
the opposite reason :-)
Modern systems, of any type, are all an incestuous mix of techniques
anyway. (i do not consider RISC a 'technology' any more than i consider
a particular kind of tire tread pattern a 'technology' They're
techniques. The chemistry of the rubber and the processes of manufacture,
that's technology. The technology in the processors is CMOS VLSI in just
about every mainstream piece of circuitry we'd be concerned with, and
each is rather the same with its contemporaries in terms of technology.. :)

when all is said and done, though, a 4000/90 is a quite fast machine. I
daresay it would seem faster than its 32 VUPs would make one think. The
VAXen i have used (older ones mostly, nothing newer than an SOC in my
personal collection) tend to be more efficient all around and so the 2.7 VUPs
of my uVIII feels a lot more like a 4 or 5 MIPS machine than the 3 it
supposedly is. Benchmarks are merely numbers, though- test various
systems with your own programs and see how they perform.

isildur