Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 m76 installation.
To: None <afm@cwru.edu>
From: Wolfgang Rupp <rupp@chello.at>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/30/2000 12:01:22
Tony Magni wrote:
> I am trying to install via tape TK50 (show device under ultrix column says
> TK13) on a 3100 76 with color, hence I have a few questions:
> I know that I cannot install nor run any kernel with the color card
That is not true in this way. You can run NetBSD with a color card
installed, but you have to switch the machine to serial console with
the small switch at the back next to the serial ports. "up" is for
serial console, 9600 8N1, on the _printer_ port. I run my 3100M38 this
way.

> If I remove the card, the
> machine starts up fine, but the screen (which is a digital original that
> came with machine) will not show anything.
Yup. When you pull the color card, the machine will revert to b/w.
The signal is on the same connector, but on different pins. You will
need a different cable than the one for color-to-monitor.

> do I have to remove the color card to
> install over serial, or can I leave it in?
See above.

> where can I find pinouts for a terminal serial cable?
Just use a MMJ-cable, with a converter MMJ-DB(x) on the other end, if
needed. If you don't have an MMJ cable, I should have the pinout somewhere.
At least here in Europe it is still possible to buy the connectors and
crimp tools that digest MMJ as well as RJ45 and RJ11.

As others have said, don't waste time with the TK50. Netboot.

Wolfgang