Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 m76 installation.
To: Douglas Meade , Tony Magni <afm@cwru.edu>
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/29/2000 20:10:38
on 7/29/00 11:48 AM, Douglas Meade at inforum@umd5.umd.edu wrote something
like:

> The preferred way to install at this time is netboot, with
> serial console.  Brian Chase's NetBOOT FAQ is an excellent place
> to start.  Watch out for using RedHat Linux 6.x as a server,
> NFS is broken.

    FWIW I remember having seen either on this list or port pmax that if you
start the Linux NFS server with a flag something like --no_nfs_version3 it
fixes the Linux NFS server. Something about the server responding that it
does support NFS v 3 although it's apparently broken, and you have to force
it to use v 2.

>> On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Tony Magni wrote:
>> install from serial console. But: do I have to remove the color card to
>> install over serial, or can I leave it in?

    Should be able to leave it in.

>> where can I find pinouts for a terminal serial cable? settings
>> have to be 9600bps and what else? ( I saw this stuff in a posting already,
>> but I just subscribed, and grepping through them now would be crazy)

9600-N-8-1, XON/XOFF flow control and DSR/DTR handshake (sometimes called
Modem-control in DEC terminals).

    Chris