Subject: VAXstation 3100 m76 installation.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Tony Magni <afm@cwru.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/29/2000 07:34:21
I am trying to install via tape TK50 (show device under ultrix column says
TK13) on a 3100 76 with color, hence I have a few questions:
	I know that I cannot install nor run any kernel with the color
card ( that's what I understood, at least). If I remove the card, the
machine starts up fine, but the screen (which is a digital original that
came with machine) will not show anything. So I would have to do the
install from serial console. But: do I have to remove the color card to
install over serial, or can I leave it in?
	where can I find pinouts for a terminal serial cable? settings
have to be 9600bps and what else? ( I saw this stuff in a posting already,
but I just subscribed, and grepping through them now would be crazy)
	To create the bootable tape, I connected the drive to my linux
box, and dd'd the gunzipped boot.fs from 1.4.2 onto the tape with bs=512.
(This process took like 2hours for that 1MB file! Is this normal?)
When I boot off the tape, I get the system message saying to press any key
to abort autoboot with a _5 at the end of the line. Then, after a long
wait (10-15min) it tries to boot various kernels (like boot netbsd.old,
boot gennetbsd...) but they all fail with an error code that was 5 digits
long (32something).

thanks for your help.

----
Tony Magni
Department of Neurological Surgery
University Hospitals of Cleveland
(216)844-1306, afm@cwru.edu,
http://discordia.cwru.edu/tinton/

 - "I know Cleveland: I spent a year there one night!"
                              (Bill, San Francisco, 1994)