Subject: kernel compiling (what else :)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Pasi Pirhonen <upi@gorba.lpt.fi>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/26/2000 08:56:40
Hi,

First of all. Thank you [insert your name here] who are 'responsible'
of this great port.

I just realized that i have had one VAXStation 3100/m30 (24MB of
memory) laying around for years w/o doing anything usefull expect
taking some storagespace.

I downloaded the 2000-06-20 snapshot and started to work with it. First
netbooted the installation kernel, but the installation script didn't
quite find any disks and (if i remember it right) it crashed the script
for the second try. Kernel did find the si[01] just fine. Made NFS-root
and manually labeled the disk and extracted sets. installed the
bootloader w/ disklabel (that does complain something about 'nfs-root
must|should be mounted' or something, but loads the kernel just fine
from the disk). I can't tell what is the exact problem, but thought i
_try_ to say something about it if it's not known already (didn't dug
too carefully the mailing archives tho).

At the second stage i started to compile some 'needed' packages.
Everything went pretty smooth, althought slowly :), until OpenSSH. That
does need(?) /dev/(u)random. Started to compile my own kernel, but it's
pretty much nogo (as i have read from the archives).

My question for now would be

a) how i can produce for myself a kernel w/ ncr-driver and rnd-driver
(those=20
ncr.o: Undefined symbol =1Fvsbus_dma_start' referenced from text segment
ncr.o: Undefined symbol =1Fvsbus_dma_intr' referenced from text segment
are keeping me not to)

or=20

b) can someone provide a precompiled kernel for me to get forward w/
this little project? GENERIC (w/ that rnd) would do fine.

I remember something about unstability problems on the archive, but i
must say that my VS3k1 have been extremely stable w/ this snapshot. No
segfaults or anything. The CPU have been pretty much 'in use'.

TIA

--=20
               ___o     </\_    upi@iki.fi
   /\o_      _ \<,_   __/\      <URL: http://www.iki.fi/upi/ >